Yato, the god of calamity, is a minor deity apart from the Seven Lucky Gods.
I am inclined to say that he doesn't accurately match up to any actual gods existing in Japanese folklore for a few reasons.
Before all else, we know Yato as a god that does not even have his own grand shrine, indicating that he is relatively unknown. Yato's goal in this series it to become a popular god.
Next, we know that this series does not exactly follow the Japanese folklore. While Bishamon is pretty accurate, Kofuku Ebisu does not represent the god of luck. Instead, she is nearly the opposite.
Lastly, the title of this series leads me to believe that Yato is a fictional god. Nora is a stray shinki, which strongly suggests that the title Noragami means Stray God (with gami meaning god).
Because of the combination of fictional elements and indications that Yato is an unimportant god, he is most likely fictional or even partly fictional like in Ebisu's case.
answered Feb 18 '14 at 1:39
5,42288 gold badges3131 silver badges5555 bronze badges
Also Known As
God of Calamity
God of Calamity
Rabō (蠃蚌) is one of the main antagonists of the Noragami series. Not much is known about him, only that he is a God of Calamity like Yato. He made his first appearance in the spin-off manga Awase Kagami, and later as an anime character in the series. Nora is one of his Shinki, her name is Furuhime, and his vessel is Reiki.
Rabō is quite tall, with long silver/grey hair, a single bright yellow eye similar to a hawk's, and he lacks a left eye which later absorbs the ayakashi. He wears baggy clothing and carries a sword on his back. His clothing is that of a warrior. He also wears a sun visor over his left eye socket. The insignia on it is similar to that of Nora's masks.
Rabō appears to be a cautious and careful character. He carefully gauges an enemy's strength and abilities before he will personally engage in combat. He enjoys letting himself get seen very briefly, as to hint to his presence and put his target on edge. He is also a cold character, killing humans, phantoms, and gods alike (regardless of whether it's a paid job or a personal grudge).
Rabō was originally a human, however, he was reborn as a god after evil wishes were made upon his death, so that he may kill again. He is a God of Calamity, and it is known that he used to take up jobs of killing phantoms, humans, and even other gods. He has awoken to fill his original position, by taking up murder requests. He also used to work with Yato to kill.
Teleportation: Like most gods, he is able to teleport from different places in order to complete his objectives quicker. He is, however, able to teleport much quicker than Yato.
Summoning and Storing Phantoms: It appears that he is able to capture a number of different phantoms and store them in a jar-like object, from which he can easily release them again.
Water Manipulation: Rabō was able to manipulate water and attack Yato. however, this may be an ability from his Shinki, Reiki.
- Rabō has also used this ability to create water clones that appear to explode when they take damage.
- Rabō can also imprison enemies in a water sphere which they can't break from the inside.
Hypnosis: During his fight with Yato that he is capable of hypnotizing his opponent. This was presented when he kept on saying "remember" to Yato; it almost seemed like Yato was falling unconscious until Yukine shouted Yato's name.
Phantom Absorption: Rabō has the ability to merge with phantoms as seen by him performing a chant then absorbing a storm into his left eye socket.
- There have been many misconceptions that Rabō is actually Kugaha, Bishamonten's shinki, however, this is not the case.
- He's very similar to Naraku, the main antagonist of the anime and manga InuYasha. Rabō in the final battle against Yato fuses with Ayakahis as Naraku fuses with Yōkais. Rabō has a past with Yato, and Naraku has a past with Inuyasha, and the context is almost the same since both of the past are in the Feudal Era.
Also Known As
Amagiri no Mikoto (by Heaven)
Yatty (by Kofuku)
Jersey/Tracksuit/Drippy (by Yukine and Hiyori)
God of Calamity (former)
God of Fortune (working title)
Yato (夜ト,,Yatō?) is one of the three main protagonists of Noragami. He is an obscure god who considers himself a God of Fortune / Happiness and War, he has been labeled a God of Calamity and Depression in the past. Yato's dream is to become a famous god, whom everyone worships.
Yato appears to be an extremely handsome young man in his late teens to early twenties with a height of 173cm (5’8”). He has messy, dark violet hair and light blue eyes with small, round pupils that become narrow when he is serious or angry, resembling that of a cat's.
Yato is often seen wearing a navy tracksuit that has a small golden crown on the right side, and a pair of brown engineer boots. A recognizable feature of his is a faded blue scarf (nicknamed 'fluffy fluff scarf' by Yato himself) with tears along with it around his neck. Although the exact fabric is unknown, some fans believe that Yato's scarf is actually a towel that he stole from a bathhouse.
In flashbacks of his time as Yaboku, he is seen with a mini ponytail wearing a blue, man's kimono.
When imagining himself becoming the wealthiest God, he has a large red cape, has a crown, and holds a pink handfan.
Yato imagines himself as the wealthiest God
Yato can be mischievous, crude, and unpredictable in his behavior. He often has low tolerance on something he wants, usually causing those around him to become upset. Furthermore, he is rather childish and gullible at times. Yato will often indulge in fantasies of being a very successful God with more followers than any other deity; shrines full of luxury and shrine maiden at his fingertips. As his existence would end if he were to be forgotten, he has developed Athazagoraphobia.
Yato is very materialistic when it comes to money, claiming to Hiyori that he will complete her job request since he intends to keep her money. Alongside this, he carries a large, empty wine bottle full of 5yen coins- the traditional offering for shrines. He tends to spend his money on drinking, gambling, and good luck trinkets, to the point where he has even stolen money from his Shinkis. When Yato opted to use his money to make Hiyori happy at Capypaland, Yukine became so excited that his master would use his money to make someone else happy that he shed tears, causing her to pity him.
Despite his aloof and often idiotic personality, Yato can be quite wise and very serious when the situation requires it. Believing his father's words, Yato thinks gods can do whatever they want, but he currently believes it is because their decision - mostly helped by others - would be the right one. He has a very low tolerance for weak-spirited people, having little motivation to help those wanting to commit suicide. This is mostly due-in-part because Shinki hasn't had the chance to experience a full life; oftentimes dying in unfortunate accidents or at the hands of another.
Yato is also rather mysterious; Examples being when he meets with Nora (Mostly the reason being why he keeps her at his side) or gives incomplete answers/ acts in a questioning manner, including telling Yukine that he killed an entire clan of Shinki due to his own desires rather than to help another god at Kazuma's request. He refused to tell his true name and past even to his closest friends, fearing they would hate him; especially given he's a god easily forgotten humans. That and abandonment issues caused by his dubbing, "God of Calamity." This caused some strain on his relationship with Yukine since he feels inferior to Nora, though Yato alleviates these fears when he releases her, begging Yukine to be his guidepost and light the way for him.
In the past, Yato's nature was extremely ruthless and cruel, thinking that killing was a game to satisfy his father and enjoy with his sister. However, his personality seems to have altered to a more optimistic standard through Sakura's influence on showing him the beauty of humanity and the world. He became more reluctant to murder, regretting being involved in killing jobs tasked by his father and wants to cut himself off from killing people in the present. Though, he seems less reluctant when dealing with murderous and "sinful" people, deeming it a necessary evil. Still, Yato can be a cruel and merciless person, showing great loyalty towards those he loves and cares for. He was angered when Hiyori was kidnapped, to the point where he challenged Bishamon, believing she was the one responsible. He was also devastated when Yukine sacrificed himself to save him during said fight. His father revealed that Yato is a "God of Depravity," meaning that Yato's only purpose is to bring upon great suffering to those around him, not to bring them happiness. This is strongly implied by Kofuku, who learned about her future friend from rumors that he once killed several Shinki, though according to Daikoku, this happened a long time ago when the rule was "kill or be killed".
Yato's greatest wish is to simply be beside Yukine and Hiyori but understands that his Father will do whatever he can to prevent that. This shows that his true desire may not simply be in being remembered, but also to be with the ones he loves and to make them happy. According to other gods such as Tenjin, he is too forgiving, enduring to be blighted for his beloved ones if that means they will be fine. Yato cried after the death of Ebisu, who acknowledged him as a God capable of making others happy. He inspired Yato on becoming a God of Fortune. Yato later apologized sincerely to the reincarnated Ebisu despite him saying he did nothing wrong. According to Hiyori, his father's lifeline and goals are like a chain around his neck, hurting him to the point that he wanted to change for other people's sakes. Hiyori's faith in his being a God of Happiness and Yukine's promise to keep him from killing another human is what currently keeps Yato motivated in being a better god. This also makes it so Yato keeps a calm appearance when dealing with great stress. It is also said the amount of abuse he went through as a child at the hands of others and his father lead to how his defensive mechanisms play out in the present.
Skills & Abilities
- Limited Immortality: Aside from supernatural means, Yato cannot be killed or even lethally injured by average means that would normally kill a regular human such as poison, explosions, drowning, being bludgeoned to death, shot to death, and so forth.
- Master Swordsman: Since he is a God of War, Yato is very skilled in the art of combat, such as swordsmanship and spearmanship.This is proven when he won a fight against Takemikazuchi, who is known for his amazing skills in combat. According to Rabō, he used to be even much stronger in the past.
- Severance (Zetsu): Using his Shinki, Yato has the ability to sever the ties of people, be it with other humans, gods, or specific memories in general. It has been implied that he specializes in this ability.
- Rend (Zan): Using his Shinki, Yato is able to use this ability to exorcise and destroy Ayakashis. This ability is first seen when Yato uses Tomone to destroy the Ayakashi outside Mutsumi's school.
- Teleportation: Yato is able to teleport to any location he has an active connection to. If he is currently on the phone with someone, he is able to teleport to the caller's location. This ability is used by Yato in order to get from job to job more quickly. Once he has his own shrine, his shrine's connection to Heaven allows him to teleport there freely.
- Divine Possession: Yato is capable of controlling a human body by temporarily substituting/taking over the soul. As possession is performed one could catch sight of two visual notable changes: the possessed person will have little golden crown sitting on his/her head and Yato's eyes.
|Given Name||Vessel |
|Human Name||Weapon Name||Status||Form|
|Hiiro||Hi||Hiiro||Hiki||Released||Chokutō with a wooden hilt, the blade could liquefy|
Chokutō with hilt bandaged with white kasuri.
As a Blessed Regalia, two chokutō (standard katana and wakizashi length) with np changes in hilt.
A divine garment shaped as a tracksuit that differs slightly from his original attire, a long scarf around his neck, boots, and pair of gloves. A katana shaped shinki that can transform into bow and arrow when the katana and its scabbard are combined.
- It is revealed that Yato's real name is Yaboku (夜卜,,Yaboku?) Yaboku contains the kanji ya (夜 night) and boku (卜 divination). Sakura mistakenly read 卜 as the katakana ト to because of the similarities, thus giving the well-known alias name Yato.
- After saving Bishamon, Yato had became known as Amagiri no Mikoto (天斬命, lit. Heaven Rending Lord) in Heaven.
- His exact age is unknown, however historical references in flashback chapters date the earliest ones to the Heian era, which would make Yato at least 1000 years old. It can be assumed based on interpreting panels from Chapter 46 that he was “born” around the 960s which would make him roughly 1,050 give or take a few decades. In a joke comic featuring the story of how he met Mayu, he states that he is around Tenjin’s age.
- Yato's expressions and portrayal often mimic that of a cat.
- Yato has rather sweaty hands, as both Tomone/Mayu and Yukine have complained about how sweaty his hands are. He is shown to be rather sensitive about this topic.
- Yato is shown to be a skilled tailor in both Shuuishuu and the main continuity. In Shuuishuu he gives Yukine a hand-made sweater and gives Hiyori a hand-made wedding dress. In the main series, he works a loom to make formal attire for both himself and Yukine for Kamuhakari.
- Furthermore, he has shown talent as an artist. This seems to be true in the manga, considering he did sell doujinshi in the past and was shown drawing a fairly accurate picture of Hiyori in Chapter 53, albeit with wings and naked.
- He is shown cross-dressing in Chapter 48 and Chapter 52.
- His English theme song is "Don't You Forget About Me" by Simple Minds.
- His character song is Tsukiyo no Fune.
- He was once tricked into creating a bank account, which now occasionally has mystery money transferred into it. This is how he was able to buy a cell phone.
Calamity god of
.Yato Rap (Noragami) - FALSE GOD - Sensei Beats
- Clay osrs
- Mary poppins phrases
- Zara 16 but looks 60
- 1964 calendar same as 2020
- Handy home sheds reviews
- Channel headboard queen
- Six star nutrition
- Goonies movie sloth